The 2023 year began with a blockbuster by all accounts! If you missed our "Sinatra Night" January 21st, you missed a very fun evening. In addition to an evening highlighting Frank Sinatra, we honored the passing of a giant in our Italian family - Chuck Sirianni. We presented plaques to Chuck's four daughters that had a beautiful photo of Chuck with his daughters.
We then sat down to enjoy pizza as Joel Spiegel entertained us by crooning some great Frank and Dino songs. To see how much everyone knew about "Ol' Blue Eyes" we then had a 15-question trivia contest. The winner was Marietta Spada, who was presented a $50 gift certificate to Nicoletta's Ristorante.
And then the stage was set for an incredibly well done rendition of "These Boots Are Made for Walking" by the IBC Dancers, featuring Maureen Bonfiglio, Kelly Giampa, and Candace Desai. Joel Migliaccio and Cassie lovingly sung "Something Stupid", As if that wasn't enough, as the man said, "the best is yet to come," as we opened the mic for karaoke featuring our members belting out some of Frank and Dino's best and most memorable tunes until our voices gave out!
We had so much fun, that we are already hard at work with an absolutely meravigliosa idea for another similar fun evening that you won't want to miss. Look for details this Fall!
Your Board has been very busy planning programs and events for the balance of 2023! While the frigid and very wet start this year hampered a lot of what we had hoped to do, we did have a couple of fantastic events: the "Sinatra Night" on January 21st was a huge hit and will be followed up with another similar event in November. The Italian Film Festival last month introduced us to some excellent Italian filmmakers and our club sponsored the very intriguing "An Invisible Witness." These two events were free to all members and well attended.
I am pleased to announce an incredible line-up of activities in the second half of 2023:
* July 15th: Our annual "Bocce & Picnic" at Foothills Park in Lake Oswego. This event is from 4 - 7pm and will include bocce games for all to enter, with prizes for entrants, and a grand prize award for the winning team. For more info or to assist the committee, contact Claudio Bonfiglio (503-805-2726).
* August 12th: "Swim Party" at the Pinoli Estate. A delicious meal of sausage and pepper hoagies and picnic side dishes will be provided by the club; bring your own beverages. Bring your swimsuits and suntan lotion! For more info or to assist the committee, contact Nicolo Pinoli (503-381-7133).
* September: (TBA soon - an event is in planning stage)
* October 1st: "La Vendemmia 2023" will take place at Adiri Winery & Vineyards in Cornelius. at 5pm. Entertainment provided by the Portland Opera Company. A very nice menu is planned. More details later. For more info or to assist the committee with this event, contact Joe Cavalli (503-929-0132).
* November 4th: "50's & 60's Night!" Based on the success with "Sinatra Night" we have come up with this event which will feature hit songs of the 50's and 60's, a Trivia Contest, a Best Dressed Contest, and some karaoke fun with KJ Albie Almeida, and as always, a few surprises! This event will take place at member Joel Migliaccio's company building in Fairview. The event will start at 5pm and last until 8-8:30pm. For more info or to be on the committee, contact Stefano (503-789-3255).
* December 9th: our annual "Christmas Dinner" at Ernesto's in Raleigh Hills. Last December we were treated to a very nice sit-down, plated dinner, cooked up especially for our club. We feel the best value and quality will once again be afforded to us at this fine Italian restaurant. For more info, or to assist the committee with this event, please contact Anthony Pomante (503-860-6319).
There you have it! There will be more details to follow ahead of every event from the main contacts for each event. We hope to see you at each and every event! As always, if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments - please direct them my way ...
Italian Benvenuti Club President
For over 70 years, the IBC has been a proud and important part of Portland's Italian community. Established by Portland businessmen of Italian heritage, the organization was formed with this mission:
Of course, many changes have occurred over the years, as well as changing the original name, Italian Businessmen's Club to the Italian Benvenuti Club, keeping the acronym IBC.
Today's IBC consists of men and women of Italian heritage and others who love Italian culture, believe in our mission and 'la Dolce Vita', an Italian phrase which was first used in a film of that name to mean crass or shocking, though modern usage means simply and positively, "the good life".
We are a social club with a common interest: celebrating and promoting Italian culture.
The IBC has remained committed to the ideals of cultural awareness and civic service upon which it was founded. Of course, being of Italian heritage, we also have a good time together. Each year the IBC Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) organization, provides scholarships for students of Italian heritage. More information can be found on the scholarhip section of this website.
Most of our gatherings are social, with some open to all as fundraisers for our IBC Foundation scholarships; others are for club members and families. We hold a few business dinner meetings during the year to set club goals, vote, and we frequently have guest speakers on topics of interest.
Should you wish more information about the IBC or wish to apply, feel free to email Stefano, or print out the application below.
4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd #658 Portland OR 97214
For information email club president Stefano at firstname.lastname@example.org